Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fujigaya Taisuke Leads the Cast of Take Five 2

Take Five 2 is the sequel of the Take Five franchise, which ran at the Akasaka Act Theater from May 4 - 25, 2016. The first stage play was staged in 2015 with Fujigaya Taisuke (lovingly referred by his fans as "Taipi") in the lead role. This play was based on a drama that was first aired in 2013 with Karasawa Toshiaki as Homura Masayoshi. This year, Taipi reprised his role as Homura and also portrayed another character, Mamiya, who came from the future to save the former from impending harm. This year's production was top billed by other experienced TV and stage actors such as Yamamoto Yusuke, Suruga Taro, Shinkawa Yua, Asakura Aki, Kozuda Yasuto, Nekoze Tsubaki, Yasoto Yuichi and Aran Kai. 

The Akasaka ACT Theater after the show
My thoughts after the curtains closed and the lights on stage turned off: I had so much fun watching Take Five 2! Though I cannot really say that it was a GREAT show because of the bland acting, it had its moments too. Yusuke was so hilarious especially when he was imitating Kisumai's dance steps! Taipi did not stand out but at least his performance was consistent - not awkward, not overacting, just calm and cool the whole time, enough to send a fangirl home with a smile.  For the first half of the play, I thought it was "okay" but not amazing, but when Taipi did his short dance sequence in the middle of the play, I thought, "Okay, I already got what I came for." I almost screamed and cheered for him, almost forgetting that I was watching a play, not a Kisumai performance!

Promotional poster with the cast
If there was anything that amazed me that night, it was probably the stage production. The interactive screens were so cool I felt like I was watching a stage play one instant and spying on the whereabouts of the "real" Taipi the next. It was the first time that I watched a play that successfully merged traditional sets and interactive screens, not to mention a hologram in one of the scenes where Taipi was talking to himself! It created a "believable" world within an unbelievable one
.
haruki murakami locations in tokyo
The stage after the show
The stage before the show
Take Five 2 was a play worth watching for the entertainment value it offered. It was the kind of play that did not require a showcase of acting prowess, but rather targeted the satisfaction of the audience. And yes, it did a pretty good job in staging lovable moments with satisfying fan service. After watching this show, I finally ticked my bucket list to see Taipi on stage. I even saw him after the show waving goodbye from his car. So I guess, I got more than what I have asked for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment