Saturday, February 20, 2016

Jazz Bar in Jimbocho: Big Boy


Jimbocho is known as the book town of Tokyo - home to several bookshops that sell both new and secondhand books. However, apart from that famous tag, Jimbocho is also home to a number of interesting cafes. Big Boy, a jazz cafe, is one of those.

Big Boy is found in a small alley right next Exit A7 of Jimbocho Station. As you walk along that alley, you can gradually hear the smooth jazz playing in the cafe, seducing you to come in and relax.

where to listen to jazz in tokyo jazz cafe in tokyo

I ordered tea for Y650. The drink is not that special but the place is. It is a small place but a relaxing one. The owner of the cafe, an old man, is a very friendly and jolly man. When he served me my complimentary water, he jokingly said that it's white wine. I didn't get it right away. Realizing the silliness of his own joke, he laughed at himself. He also very friendly with the other customers. He would chat with them from time to time and ask them if they are okay. When he served my tea, he asked me where I came from and I told him that I am from the Philippines. He just smiled. He's running the place with his wife who is helping him serve drip coffee.

Tea time runs from 1:00pm and closes at 5:00pm. It opens again at 7:00 for its bar time. I suppose more people are coming in the evenings to relax and listen to jazz after a long day's work. When i came in the afternoon, there were only two other customers apart from me.


big boy jazz bar in jimbocho things to do in tokyo

There are a hundreds (or maybe thousands) of old vinyl records lining the wall behind the counter and there are two large speakers on each side providing a smooth sound. There are also several records lining the windows for display. There are also some old CDs for sale for Y800. I didn`t get to look at them because the cafe was already closing that time so I had to leave immediately. 

The old man was all smiles when I paid my bill. I said thank you and he said, "see you next time!" I think there will surely be a next time. I will come back to this cafe, listen to jazz and watch the old man happily serve his customers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment