Friday, February 13, 2015

A Cafe in Between Passing Trains: Cafe N331

I have a penchant for riding trains, taking pictures of old trains with steam engines and visiting museums about old trains and railways. I even visited a company that makes railways, how geeky can I get? So when I found out that there's a cafe situated exactly between two train tracks (actually, I heard it stands on an old platform), I immediately went there even though there had been forecasts about a coming typhoon! 

weird cafes in tokyo



Cafe N331, pronounced as "en san san ichi" is situated in between the chuo lines. It can be found on top of the newly-renovated Manseibashi Platform, which is now more popularly known as the mAAch. Inside it is a long stretch of boutiques with interesting products like clothes and bags, paper products and stationery sets and of course train models!

The cafe is really small and all the tables are beside the window so there's no need to worry about not getting a good view of the passing trains. The walls are all glass so you can see not only the passing trains on your side but also the trains passing on the other line in the distance. Just for the experience of being so close to a real, moving train is worth the visit. Please see this video that I took for you to see how awesome it is!

Don't expect so much on the food though because for me it's quite ordinary. I arrived there a little past lunch time and the curry that I wanted to order was already sold out. I ended up ordering an eggplant sandwhich, which is actually not bad but also not amazing.

To get there, you can get off at Kanda Station and walk for around 7-minutes. If the red brick mAAch building comes to view, it means you're on the right track. They are open from 11:00am to 11:00pm from Mondays to Saturday, but they close at 9:00pm on Sundays and holidays.

TIPS:

If you just want to enjoy the ambiance and train watching with friends, it's better to sit inside the cafe, near the counter. There 's a couch with colorful pillows that make the place even homier. But if you want to get a good photo of passing trains, better take a seat on the other end of the cafe where you can catch a good glimpse of the trains while chilling with your coffee or tea.

If you want to try their rice meals, it's better to arrive before 12noon because their food easily gets sold old, they're probably don't stock so much food I guess since it's a very small cafe. And because of it's size, I don't think they allow customers to stay there for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment